Friday, August 28, 2009

very superstitious

Webster's defintition of superstitious: "someone swayed by a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or false conception of causation".

Stevie Wonder says "when you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer"

Thousands of people take off work should Friday fall on the 13th of the month, thousands of buildings do not have a 13th floor, fourtune cookies make people's life decisions....the list goes on and on.

The reason that I bring all this up, is because I find that I have some superstitious tendencies of my own. In my car, I think 13 is the perfect volume...just enough for my bass to boom correctly, but not too loud at the same time...and yet it will always rest on either 12 or 14.

I tried repeatedly to stop reading my horoscope....but everytime I get bored, its habitual. Funny enough, my boss gets the paper and types and sends me my horoscope, so I couldn't avoid it if I wanted to.

I know a lot of people believe its the 'law of the averages'...basically just stating things that people on average go through...but I'll be darned if it doesn't say something immediately a big topic of that very day. Like this one day, I was with a co-worker preparing to go to the mall. We had gathered our stuff and everything, and decided to stop and get something to eat at Panda Express. My fortune cookie "you will be tempted to spend money today. Don't."...I mean...could the timing for that have been ANY more perfect??

I mean...I TRY not to believe in these things but who knows. I still refuse to set the dial on 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment